Our School » School Profile
- Co-educational state school, Years 9 - 13
- Opened in 2004 at Year 9
- Capacity (2010) 1800 students
- One of two new “schools for the 21st century”
- Location: Chapel Road, opposite Botany Town Centre (See quick link)
Features of the College:
- Built on the “whanau house” concept
- Emphasis on academic challenge and personal development. Focus on a blend of best practice (from international and NZ - wide research)
- Support programmes for high ability /gifted students; special needs students and remediation
- ICT – rich, 21st century technology incorporated into the learning process (enabling self-paced, self-directed and anywhere – anytime learning)
- Thinking & learning skills; integrated learning and revision/assessment skills programmes
- Authentic and contextual learning opportunities
- Focus on the individual, through a unique ‘mentoring’ programme
- Innovative practice and high calibre staff
Our School logo
The logo reflects our philosophy:
The design started from the Greek alphabet using the circles of the Beta and Delta characters, and the overlapping circular shapes echo the traditional role of the educator and the student.
- The inner circle is the student
- The outer circle represents the nurturing and educating by teachers
- The outer shape links the two circles, envelops the whole school community and is pointing towards the future.
Botany Downs Secondary College is in Botany Downs, Howick, an attractive suburb in the East of Auckland, New Zealand’s largest city.
Botany Downs Secondary College is 40 minutes drive from the city centre and 30 minutes from the Auckland International Airport. Within easy walking distance of the school is, “Botany Town Centre” the second largest shopping mall in the country, there are shops, cinemas, restaurants, libraries, ice skating rink and entertainment complexes. The nearest beaches are within 15 minutes drive.