Our Careers Department aims to prepare students for the future. The programme provides careers education, information, advice and guidance, and supports the Tutor Mentoring programme run at Botany Downs Secondary College.
Students thinking about further study after they leave school have a lot of decisions to make.
We encourage students and parents to check out StudyLink.govt.nz. A great website to help you work out if study is right for you and how you'll support yourself.
Once you’ve made the decision to study it’s a good idea to sign up to receive emails from StudyLink. This way you won’t miss out on important information, like when to apply and documents you need to send.
- Located at the far end of the Conference Centre
- Open at Interval, Lunchtime (after sit-down lunch), and after school for general enquiries and perusing resources.
- If a Career Interview is required, please request an appointment. Appointment slips are available on the whiteboard entrance-way.
- Students have at least 4 sessions of Career Education prior to option selection
- Year 12 and 13 students participate in a variety of Experience Days, Workchoice Day, Tertiary Open Days and Student for a Day
- Maori students are targeted through KATTI, Whakapiki Ake, MAPAS, UTAS and OCE
- Pasifika students are targeted through PILOT, MAPAS, UTAS and Pacific OCE
- Year 12 and 13 Career Pathway classes
- Year 12 Trades Academy class
- Regular notices on Student/Parent Webportal and Careers Centre noticeboard
- Careers Expo
- Careers assemblies
- Lunchtime tertiary series in Term 2 for university and polytechnic overviews
- Scholarship sessions
- Prospectuses and pamphlets available in the Careers Centre
Careers Advice and Guidance
- Available to every student through the Careers Education Programme
- Year 13 individual initial careers interviews
- Course Planning by tertiary providers for Year 13
- Interviews for all students if requested
- Teacher (Guidance, Gateway work experience, Whanau Leader, Tutor and Class Teacher) referrals
- Parental requests
- Student Teacher Parent report evenings