Guidance and Counselling
To see a counsellor...
Student referral for yourself or someone else › (if you are concerned about one of your peers)
All information you give will remain private and confidential to our Counsellors.
Welcome to the Guidance team at Botany Downs Secondary College. We share a commitment of working towards a socially healthy and emotionally safe school.
Our aim is to support the wellbeing and safety of all students at BDSC to enable our young people to achieve their full potential. We are professionally trained counsellors, fully registered members of New Zealand Association of Counsellors and we work according to the ‘NZAC Code of Ethics’. We maintain confidentiality unless there is a serious and imminent risk to safety.
Team members and Location
We are located in the Student Services building, just to the right of Reception.
Mr. Iain Thomson
Head of Guidance, Counsellor
phone 09 2732310 ext. #336
Mrs. Leanne Rowe
phone 09 2732310 ext. #229
What is Counselling?
Counselling is a professional helping process which assists a person to explore difficulties and concerns, and supports them to find new solutions or ways of coping. Talking with a counsellor at BDSC is seen as a normal thing to do. We work with students of all academic levels, and from all ethnicities for a wide range of issues. Students do not need to be “in trouble” at school!”
Counsellors offer mainly individual counselling but also run group programmes (mainly for Years 9 and 10), we also work alongside and refer to specialist agencies - this can be recommended for students experiencing acute mental health issues, addiction or historical trauma.
People might seek counselling support for reasons such as:
- Difficulties at home/school
- Low self-esteem
- Loss and Grief
- To make better informed decisions
- Support in problem solving and finding resolutions
- Feeling lost
- Depression or suicidal thought
- Managing anger
Whatever your issue or concern the counsellors will be happy to assist you.
Your counsellor may also:
- See you on your own or with support people
- Give you information
- Provide referrals for specific help
- Act on your behalf with your consent
- Facilitate mediations to resolve conflict
Some helpful youth services recommended by our counsellors:
- Youthline 0800-376633 or txt 027 4 youths
- Chinese Lifeline 0800-888880
- Domestic Violence Centre (24 hour line) 0508 744 633
- Sexual abuse help (24 hours) 6231700
- For Depression www.thelowdown.co.nz and www.depression.org.nz
- For teenagers supporting a friend who has an unwanted sexual experience: www.gr8mates.org.nz
- Drinking and drugs out of control? www.alteredhigh.com
- Domestic violence www.2shine.org.nz
- Body Image and Eating Issues www.womens-health.org.nz/programmes/body-image-programme/
- Trauma, Loss and Grief www.skylight.org.nz
- Support and information around Sexual Identity and Orientation www.rainbowyouth.org.nz